StarUML is a convenient open-source UML editor. It will be useful for programmers who have to deal with object-oriented development. The program is the undisputed leader in its category, but unfortunately it is distributed for a fee.
StarUML gives the chance to edit and create "from scratch" the UML-projects compatible with specifications MDA (Model-Driven Architecture). It supports code generation in Java, PHP, C++ and C# languages, works with frameworks, is able to use patterns and fully complies with the UML 2.0 standard. Each element in the working model is edited in a separate inspector. Also, users are offered the keys to quickly create links.
The editor supports extensions that can be used to add new features or replace existing tools with more advanced ones. There are many extensions for StarUML. You can find them on specialized forums and even on the official website. A convenient manager is provided for managing extensions in the program.
The editor has versions for all modern operating systems. Its interface is adapted to the high resolution screens and is made in pleasant dark tones. StarUML allows you to import projects created in Rational Rose (another popular editor), contains a publication tool in HTML, offers developers open APIs and ERD support. Documentation for created projects can be exported to DOC, TXT, PPT, XLS and, more recently, PDF.
- is one of the most advanced UML editors;
- contains code generation tools for popular languages;
- supports extensions, which are very much created for StarUML;
- Displays a convenient separate inspector for each element of the model;
- allows you to export documentation to PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS and TXT;
- can import projects created in other popular editors.