is a utility developed by Microsoft which allows users to create a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) of their existing physical hard drive. It can be used to create a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) of a computer running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, or Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2019.
is a free utility from Microsoft available from the Microsoft Sysinternals website. It enables users to create a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) of their existing physical hard drive. The utility is mainly used for making a duplicate of a physical hard drive for backup and archival purposes, or for creating a virtual machine (VM) to run on a virtualization platform such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMware.
Disk2vhd provides a simple and efficient way to create a virtual hard drive of a physical computer for easy transfer to a virtual machine.
• Create a VHD of the entire physical drive or just selected partitions.
• Support for all Windows operating systems from Windows XP and later.
• Create a VHD with a single click.
• Supports a variety of file systems including FAT, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and ReFS.
• Automatically resize existing partitions to fit the VHD size.
• Supports both dynamic and basic disks.
• Compatable with Microsoft Hyper-V and other virtualization platforms.
• Supports up to 2TB of VHD size.
• Create multiple VHD files simultaneously.
• Ability to create a VHD from a physical drive connected over the network.
• Create a VHD from a local drive, USB drive, or CD/DVD.
• Create and mount a VHD with a single click.
• Option to create a password protected VHD.
• Automatically detect and exclude system files from the VHD.
• Ability to exclude files and folders from the VHD.
• Supports storage on external drives and network locations.
• Ability to create a VHD from an ISO image file.
• Supports bootable VHDs.
• Ability to customize the VHD size.
• Ability to specify the VHD format.
• Ability to create a VHD from a physical drive on a remote computer.
• Supports command-line parameters for scripting.
• Ability to save and restore settings.
• Ability to mount or unmount a VHD with a single click.
• Ability to view VHD files and their contents.
• Ability to compress a VHD to save space.
• Ability to defrag a VHD to improve performance.
• Ability to encrypt a VHD to protect its contents.
• Ability to resize a VHD to make it larger or smaller.
• Ability to convert a VHD to a native format for use on other virtualization platforms.
• Ability to convert a VHD to a physical drive.
• Ability to clone a VHD.
• Ability to repair a VHD if it becomes corrupted.