What Is Hping
is a free open source command line utility and an easy-to-use tool for network exploration, security scanning, packet crafting, and network testing. It works on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows operating systems. Hping is an integrated packet crafting and manipulating tool that can be used to create, send, and receive custom TCP/IP packets. It is also useful for network administrators to audit network security and manage services, and for developers to debug network protocols.
Features of Hping
Hping provides a wide range of features for testing, probing and security auditing. Here is a list of some of its features.
• Raw IP packet crafting: Allows the user to create custom IP packets with arbitrary fields.
• Traceroute mode: It can be used to trace the path of a packet from source to destination.
• ICMP mode: ICMP requests and ICMP Echo
Reply requests can be sent and received.
• UDP mode: Custom UDP packets can be sent and received.
• TCP mode: The user can control the source and destination ports, sequence number, and flags of TCP packets.
• Network scanning: Hping can be used to scan for open ports on a target machine.
• Firewall testing: Hping can be used to test the effectiveness of firewalls.
• DNS lookup: It can be used to look up DNS information.
• ARP spoofing: ARP spoofing can be used to intercept network traffic.
• Network statistics: Hping can display network statistics such as packet loss rate and round trip time.
• Logging: The user can log the output of Hping to a file.
• Scripting: Hping can be used in shell scripts for automating tasks.
• IP fragmentation: The user can control the IP fragmentation of packets.
• Network testing: Hping can be used to test network performance and latency.
• Network address translation (NAT): Hping can be used to test NAT implementations.
• Routing information protocol (RIP): Hping can be used to display routing information.
• Statistics: Hping can be used to display network statistics such as packet loss rate and round trip time.
• Network security: Hping can be used to scan for open ports and test the effectiveness of firewalls.
Hping is an incredibly powerful network tool that is used by network administrators, developers, and security professionals for a wide range of tasks and purposes. Its wide range of features makes it an excellent choice for network exploration, security scanning, packet crafting, and network testing. It is easy to use and free to download, making it a great tool for anyone who needs to audit their network security or test network performance.
Hping can be used to send packets to a specific port and protocol, allowing for more precise network testing and troubleshooting.