Metasequoia is a program that allows you to create a variety of models from polygons and save them in popular formats. It supports three operating modes: beginner mode, simulation mode and mapping mode. Each of them offers enough tools for selecting the necessary elements and editing them. Among the most interesting functions of Metasequoia, which are not present in many other programs for three-dimensional modeling, it is necessary to highlight the automatic filling of "holes" on the surface, automatic creation of "bridges" (lines) between the polygons, as well as a tool for rounding corners on the models.
When creating a simple model from scratch, we recommend using the Armature tool. It allows you to build a symmetrical model around a single centerline. For those working on more complex projects, skeleton making and "morphing" functions will be useful. The created models can be rendered using the built-in RenderMan tool, but in the free version of Metasequoia there is a restriction on the maximum resolution of the original object. Starting with the fourth version, the editor has been able to adjust the dynamic lighting of the model.
Metasequoia can import files in SUF, OBJ, WRL, DXF, LWO, ROK, STL, PMD and 3DS formats. The extended version (EX) also supports FBX, PLY, DAE and SVG. All the same formats can be exported by the program.
Metasequoia functionality can be extended by installing plugins. So far, their numbers have not been so high, but they're growing steadily.
- the possibility of creating three-dimensional models from polygons;
- automatic bridging between the points and filling the holes in the models;
- Import and export of SUF, OBJ, WRL, PMD, DXF, ROK, STL, 3DS and LWO formats;
- a built-in rendering tool;
- Ability to adjust Ambient Occlusion of the model;
- convenient tools for morphing and building a "skeleton" model;
- Ability to customize dimensions for printing models on 3D printers.