FreeMind is a tool for creating "mental maps", an intuitive editor for tree-like data models. "Mental maps created with FreeMind illustrate not the connections within a single object, but the framework of a whole concept. Such "maps" appear most often as a result of brainstorming in the work of companies and individual teams that work together on a single project. Such a "mental map" can be exported as a graph or data tree (for example, in an XHTML document) or even as a web page.
When creating a document in FreeMind, it can be linked to similar mental maps, web pages and other external files. The program allows you to easily update the entire project structure in memory, search for information on individual branches, import and export lists. Literally every "node" in the "mental maps" can be maximally expanded and adjusted, reflecting the concept of the project.
- document nodes contain fully functional HTML links, whether they are WWW links or links to local files;
- Freemind supports folders from the earliest versions;
- Quick one-click navigation, including one-click lists and branches, drag and drop, and scrolling;
- the possibility of cancelling the operation;
- Copy nodes and their styles, drag and drop multiple favorite nodes, and link to external files;
- intelligently copy links, including links from HTML or paste lists of favorite files;
- intelligent copying and pasting of plain text RTF (MS Wordpad, MS Word, MS Outlook messages);
- Export maps to HTML;
- search of objects, found elements are displayed one by one, expanding the map only for the current element;
- the ability to use and edit multi-line nodes;
- Possibility of marking nodes with icons, colors, different fonts.
- The freemind is intended to be used alone, although other team members can work on the same card if they get access that is disabled by default;
- In rare cases, HTML links in a web browser do not work;
- Limited possibilities of graphic design of own ideas.