x264 is currently one of the best multimedia codecs that compresses and converts video to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format. The codec was created as an alternative to the leading formats of MPEG-4, DivX, MS and other video codecs. Unlike competitors, it has excellent quality and compression level of video information, and according to the data of individual tests - it bypasses its analogues from well-known manufacturers. Codec is characterized by high speed of work and excellent quality of the final video material.
This is one of the most modern codecs among freely distributed AVC codecs. It is also one of the freely available codecs that supports High Profile AVC encoding.
- Context-dependent adaptive binary arithmetic coding and context-dependent adaptive coding with variable length code word;
- a few reference frames;
- all intra-type macroblocks;
- all inter types of P-frame macroblocks;
- B-Inter macroblock types from 16×16 to 8×8;
- Optimization of the ratio of introduced distortions to the flow rate;
- Several modes of operation of the flow rate control: permanent quantizer, constant quality, single or multi-pass ABR with VBV mode;
- to detect a change in the scene;
- Adaptive B-frame placement, with the ability to use B-frames as reference frames;
- 8×8 and 4×4 adaptive spatial transformation;
- lossless compression mode;
- arbitrary quantization matrices;
- parallel coding on multiple CPUs;
- support for interlaced frame compression.