Unreal Engine 4 is a game engine that provides a wide range of opportunities for programmers, game designers and artists. The 4th version of the engine appeared relatively recently. That's why only Dead Island 2 can be remembered from the last famous projects. But on the 3rd version BioShock Infinite, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Batman: Arkham City, Bulletstorm, Mortal Kombat, Mass Effect trilogy and many other famous games were created.
The game editor itself consists of several functional parts: game, engine, plugins and platform. In the central part of the interface there is the main Viewport window where all game objects will be placed. You can open several Viewports at once, but this requires additional system capacity. Above this window is the Toolbar, which is used to manage the project. The Content Browser content tree (sounds, models, textures, animations, etc.) is located at the bottom left and the Modes window is located at the top of the window, with the help of which you can add various geometric shapes, light sources, landscape elements and other things. The SceneOutliner window is displayed at the top right of the screen, which takes into account all the objects in the scene. In the lower right corner is the Details tab, where you can view and correct the properties of individual objects.
All game logic is written in visual scripting language Blueprint. But you can also connect a pure C++. Linking objects, level generation, inventory system, health and damage to characters in the game - all this is prescribed in formulas and code.
The engine is very demanding on the iron. You should be careful when rendering and compiling large scenes to avoid burning the graphics card. However, the Unreal Engine was originally designed for professional studios, not for single indies.
- Creation of 2D and 3D games for Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Android, iOS and various consoles;
- Full support for DirectX 11 and 12;
- object management via the Blueprint scripting language;
- support for C++ and Microsoft Visual Studio;
- Export of created game content to the digital platform of Marketplace for sale;
- compatibility of engine effects with virtual reality devices;
- fully open source editor code allows you to create your own modifications and plug-ins;
- a powerful visual effects editor;
- tools to create animations, landscapes and simple models;
- managing cat scenes;
- instant access to the first version of the game being created;
- working with sound.