What is Wireshark
Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer. It is used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and communications protocol development, and education. It captures and analyzes network packets in real-time. With Wireshark, users can see what’s happening on their network at a microscopic level and troubleshoot problems.
Features of Wireshark
• Live Capture & Offline Analysis: Wireshark can capture and analyze data packets in real-time as they are transferred over the network. It also allows users to analyze previously captured data stored in log files.
• Protocol Decoding: Wireshark can decode a wide range of protocols, including popular ones such as IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, and more.
• Color-Coding: Wireshark allows users to color-code packets to make it easier to identify different types of traffic. This helps users quickly identify which protocol is being used and troubleshoot issues faster.
• Filtering: Wireshark has powerful filtering capabilities which allows users to filter traffic based on a wide range of criteria. This makes it easier to filter out irrelevant traffic and focus on the traffic that is of interest.
• Analysis Tools: Wireshark includes a wide range of analysis tools which can be used to analyze traffic and identify performance issues. This includes tools for flow graph analysis, packet length distribution, conversation statistics, and more.
• VoIP Analysis: Wireshark includes a specialized VoIP analysis feature which allows users to analyze Voice over IP calls and troubleshoot issues.
• Network Interfaces: Wireshark supports a wide range of network interface types, including Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and more.
• Remote Capture: Wireshark supports remote capture, allowing users to capture traffic from other computers on the network.
Portable Wireshark allows users to capture, view, and analyze network traffic on multiple platforms without needing to install the application.
Wireshark includes advanced features such as export of captured data to XML, PostScript, or CSV, malware detection, and more.
• Scripting: Wireshark includes a scripting feature which allows users to write scripts to automate common tasks.
• Cross-Platform Support: Wireshark runs on a wide variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, macOS, and more.
• Open Source: Wireshark is an open source project and is free to use.
Wireshark is a powerful and popular network protocol analyzer. It can capture and analyze data packets in real-time, and includes a wide range of features such as protocol decoding, color-coding, filtering, analysis tools, VoIP analysis, remote capture, scripting, and more. Wireshark is open source and runs on a wide variety of platforms.