AbiWord is part of a large project known as AbiSource which was started by SourceGear Corporation. Its goal was to develop a cross-platform set of open source office software. The project started with the AbiWord word processor.
AbiWord provides a versatile, cross-platform solution for creating and editing documents in many languages.
Its source code is specifically and carefully written so that AbiWord continues to work on virtually any operating system with a minimum of time spent on porting.
AbiWord is able to work with many languages and this provides it with a huge number of users all over the world.
AbiWord integrates perfectly into the operating system on which it is run and takes advantage of all the functionality provided by the system.
- cross-platform - can run on Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris;
- Fully interoperable with all common formats - works with Microsoft Word documents, OpenOffice.org, WordPerfect, RTF, web pages and many more;
- Advanced document layout options to provide excellent visibility and ease of use of the tools;
- Internationalization - supports working with multiple languages. Includes spell checker and dictionaries for more than 30 languages. Supports Hebrew and Arabic-like languages;
- Drafting of standard letters is facilitated and automated with a variety of ready-made templates and special tools;
- supports server operation using a powerful command line, in which all the features of AbiWord are available;
- Extensible architecture with a large number of plugins. The main kernel of the program is very small, which allows AbiWord to work on weak systems. On more powerful computers, the functionality of the program can be significantly expanded by connecting new modules;
- The AbiWord plugin system has been developed to give the program all the functionality you would expect from a modern word processor. The variety of add-ons can be used to greatly enhance AbiWord's functionality, from document import and graphics to Thesaurus and text synonymizer and much more.